SCARICA IL CATALOGO GENERALE

 HOME
Home Page
News
Events
Promotions & Lastminute
Info request online

 HOSPITALITY
Hotel
Hotel
Hotel
Hotel
Farm holidays
Aparthotel and Residences
Real Estate Agency
Camping and Village

Find by name

 CAORLE
Maps
How to arrive
Beaches
Port
Golf
Marine
Weather Caorle
The "Casoni"
Ca' Corniani
Sport
Bike Routes
Culture
Ferry boat
Oasi Marina

 

ANCIENT CAORLE

Link : Culture - The churches - The museum - The living rocks - Ernest Hemingway

Caorle was founded in 40 b.C. as a commercial and naval port of Concordia Sagittaria and Oderzo. Therefore Caorle precedes Venice's birth, which was in the fith centuty a.D.. Roman finds are the evidence of the ancient roman origin of the island, also called Caprulae, Petronia, Insula Capritana or Caule. After the fall of the Holy Roman Empire in 476 a.D. and the begining of the barbaric invasions from the Alps, began a migration from hinterland to the lagoon, exactly to Caorle, to find a refuge. That migration caused a very high increase in population of the island, which was in need of a government. Therefore, in 480 a.D. was founded the first local government and in 876 d.C. the island was raised to bishop's residence. In 900 a.D. Caorle allied itself to the Republic of Venice and fought many wars. Thanks to the thriving trade it has been possible to build the Cathedral (1038) and the cilindric bell-tower (1070). The several wars, fought between the XI and the XV century a.D. caused a political instability. Famines and pestilences drastically cut down the number of Caorle's inhabits, which passed from 4000 in the XVII century to 992 in 1766. Just on the decline, the island became commune during the reign of Napoleone Bonaparte (1806-1815). In 1807 was abolished the bishop's residence, which gaved hospitality to 57 Bishops. During the nineteenth century there has been a slow economic recovery, thanks to a better use of arable lands and to the liberalization of the quinine, an antimalarial which let the population increase.

In 1854 was founded the Fischermens' Union, that brought together and organized local fischermens, to regulate fishing activity. At the begining of the twentieth century began a great reclamation of all the marshes around the island, which became fishing areas and arable lands. In that period were born several farmhouse, which grew till becoming big industries. In 1935 were finished the rock-fill dam, called "Sebastiano Chiarello" and the filling with earth of the street "Rio Terrà". Moreover, in that period started the urbanization: several buildings rose up, such as the primary school "Andrea Bafile" and the town hall. Then began also the turistic trade. During the '60s the number of tourists increase very much, so that tourism became the main activity of the island. Many public works has been made to meet new town planning requirements. In the '70s was born Porto Santa Margherita, a modern nautical and residential district, with a big port. The development of the touristic offer has been supported by the continous increase in italian and foreign tourists, who till today appreciate this peculiar fischermens' town, that, with its history, its colours, its tastes and traditions, envelope ourselves in an atmosphere of the past .







CaorleVacanze : Italiano | German | English - Mappa del sito / SiteMap

 

 
    
Consorzio di Promozione Turistica Caorle e Venezia Orientale,

Viale Santa Margherita 119/C,
30021 Caorle (VE),

C.F./P.I.: 04038190270
Iscritta al Registro Imprese di Ve
REA 0359876

tel. +39 0421 210506
tel.+39 333 1926142
fax +39 0421 218399

Webmaster & design by : Francesco Gallo
Foto : Carlo & Francesco